There’s a place for everyone at the Dance School!
All are welcome. No JCC membership required.
Preschool through adults.
The Dance School at the JCC provides recreational and pre-professional students with comprehensive, holistic training for a variety of dance styles and classes. Classes are taught by instructors who are professionals in their field and have years of teaching/performing experience. Three state-of-the-art dance studios and piano accompaniment for many ballet classes further set the Dance School at the JCC apart from all other area dance schools.
As one of Westchester’s most respected dance schools, the Dance School at the JCC offers classes for kids, teens and adults at all levels of training in: ballet, pointe, pas de deux, contemporary, hip hop, and tap. Use the menu to the right to view class schedules and fees.
- Pianists accompanying most ballet classes
- Professional dance faculty
- Positive, supportive approach to develop strong, injury-free dancers and confident individuals.
- Emphasis on a life-long appreciation of the art of dance, body awareness, self-discipline.
Many Dance School students have gone on to careers with professional dance companies, including American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, Joffrey Ballet, Broadway, Atlanta Ballet, Carolina Ballet, Norwegian National Ballet, and more.
Summer Dance Intensive
10:30am -1:30pm Dancers entering 6th grade and up have an extraordinary opportunity to train with professionals at the Dance School’s Dance Summer Intensive. Students will participate in various classes including ballet, pointe, variations, pool barre and PBT (specialized conditioning method for ballet dancers). Enroll for 2, 4 or 6 weeks. Space is limited to a total of 12 students.
Contact email@example.com for information.
Performance and Dance Concert Opportunities:
Westchester Theatre of Dance
Westchester Theatre of Dance (WTD) is the performance company of the Dance School. Our dancers learn the creative process of choreography from beginning to end, as well as the immeasurable experience of performing on stage. Guest choreographers and performers from New York City take part in our annual dance concert as well.
Our Dance Outreach program offers opportunities to perform during the school year for intermediate and advanced Ballet, Tap, and Hip Hop dancers. Ballet students in Levels 1 through 5, as well as Hip Hop and tap workshop students, may perform in our highly regarded Westchester Theatre of Dance Annual Performance Spring Concert. Participation is optional. No student is required to perform. Note:There is an additional fee for production and costume expenses for all participants in the dance concert.
Westchester Theatre of Dance and the Dance School at the JCCMW presented in 2019 the ballet “Land of the Sweets” (Act II of “Nutcracker”) with the familiar, enchanting music of Pytor Ilyich Tchaikovsky and breathtaking choreography by Justin Sherwood.
Special Outreach Performance for Schools
Photos from past WTD performances:
Parents’ Observation Week
Dates for 2021-2022 to be confirmed and is dependent on COVID protocols.
Private dance lessons may be arranged upon request. One hour: $85; half hour: $50. Please contact Kristen McGrew, Dance School Director, 914-725-7300 .
Limited Scholarships available through a grant from the Gina Bugatti Memorial Dance Scholarship Fund, the Elaine Finsilver Endowment Fund and the Maria Jones Scholarship Fund.
Dance School Instructors – see Dance School Faculty for detailed bios
- Uri Aqua
- Catherine Barribal
- Melissa Bartucci
- Gina Bergamini
- Rachel Cuomo
- Nancy Kaplan
- Violeta Katz
- Michelle Lucci
- Kristen McGrew
- Mercedes Pablos
- Camille Rodriguez
- Arleigh Rothenberg
- Flavio Salazar (Master Class Instructor)
- Jayne Santoro
- Daniel Ulbricht (Master Class Instructor)
- Mimi Wallace
- Jessica Whitehorne
- Anna Wroclawski
- Alla Borzova
- Miles Fusco
- Colin Rose
- Saul Spangenberg
General Information and Dress Code
- The Dance School has three air-conditioned studios with non-skid floors and separate dressing rooms for both boys and girls
- See The Dress Code page for requirements.
- See the JCCMW Policies Page for information about our refund and cancellation policies.
- The JCC is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Pianists are scheduled for most ballet classes.
- NO refunds after first class unless there is a medical reason (doctor’s note is necessary).
- Regular attendance is important. Please call 914-725-7300 in case of anticipated absence.
- No jewelry or gum permitted in class.
- Classes cancelled due to inclement weather may be made up at the end of the session.
- Payment plans must be completed by the last day of December each year.
- Enrollment is ongoing. Classes may be pro-rated.
- The Dance School prides itself on the careful placement of each student into the appropriate level of dance class.
- Students new to the Dance School with prior training must be evaluated for placement.
- All students are expected to arrive on time for class. The beginning of class is an essential part of warm-up. Lateness is also disruptive to others in the class. Students arriving more than 10 minutes late will be permitted only to observe class.
- Students remain in appropriate class until the instructor determines that they are ready to move to the next level.
- Ballet students in Level 2 and up usually remain in their assigned level for a minimum of two years.
Fees for Adult Classes:
- 10-class card: $215
- Single class: $25
- Virtual single class: $15; virtual 10-class card: $150
Kristen McGrew, Dance School Director
Jane Summer, Assistant to the Director