American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Class
JCCMW runs American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification and Water Safety Instructor Certification courses. These give anyone looking to work at a pool – whether during the year or at a summer camp – the confidence and skills necessary to work as a swim instructor or lifeguard.
Thursday nights, March 11 – May 20, plus one Sunday in April/May 9am-5pm will be required for rescue skills, First Aid and CPR exam (Date TBA).
15 yrs. & up
$500 plus cost of certification ($43) at the end of the course, if all requirements of the course are reached, which is payable to the instructor, and you will need to provide your own CPR Mask.
This class is available to anyone who is turning 15 by the end of the course or a swimmer who is already 15 years old. Must pass pre-requisites to enroll – $50 non-refundable fee for evaluation.
Upon successful completion of Lifeguarding course, each participant will receive:
- an American Red Cross Universal Certificate indicating Lifeguard/First Aid, which is valid for 2 years
- an American Red Cross Universal Certificate indicating CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, which is valid for 2 years but NY State requires this to be renewed annually.
Before anyone can sign-up you will need to complete the following pre-requisites:
- Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front.
- 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breath, kick and glide sequence.
- 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
- Treading water for 2 minutes, no use of arms.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Class
15 yrs. & up. Please check back later – we are not currently offering this program
The WSI course trains instructor candidates to teach the fundamental Learn-to-swim courses including Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim Levels 1–6, Adult Swim, and private swimming lessons. This certification is the gold standard and provides the most comprehensive training for swim instructors.
- All participants must complete pre-requisite test to be able to participate in the WSI class
- Must be at least 16 years of age on or before the last date of the course
- All classes are mandatory
Is your American Red Cross certification almost expired? Get re-certified at the JCC!
$230 plus cost of certification to be paid direct to the instructor if all requirements are met.
Courses are ongoing. Contact the Aquatics Director, Marlena, at email@example.com for more information.
Red Cross CPR and First Aid Re-certification
Is your American Red Cross CPR and First Aid certification almost expired? Get re-certified at the JCC!
Contact the Aquatics Director at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
$130 plus cost of certification, if all requirements of the course are reached (payable to the instructor at the end of the course.
Next course: Spring 2021